Ṣanʿāʾ
(81 words)

this map is based on Von Wissmann’s map of 1964 reproduced in R.B. Serjeant and R. Lewcock, Ṣanʿāʾ: an Arabian-Islamic City (London, 1983), 118 and additional details from the book. The city developed first around the qaṣr and sūqs in the east and gradually expanded westwards across the sā’ila watercourse. In the seventeenth century the palace of the Imāms was established by the “garden suburb” of Bi’r al-ʿAzab and was not walled until the nineteenth century.

Cite this page
Kennedy, Hugh, “Ṣanʿāʾ”, in: Historical Atlas of Islam, Edited by: Hugh Kennedy. Consulted online on 16 December 2017 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_hai_HAI_19B>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004122352, 20011210



▲   Back to top   ▲